New top 5 DJ Mix on Soundcloud
Following my last top 10 mix discovered on Soundcloud, here is a new top 5 mix that’s been playing a alot in my ears recently. From hip-hop, to nu disco, electro and ambient. No favorites, just a random number one to number 5 of some mixes I’ve liked in the last few months…
1) Minimal wave synth by Lovecraft65 : A very good and unsual collection of synth pop, new wave and electro pop songs. This mix was done by Robert Mcmahon from Glasgow in Britain. Lots of french speaking songs from France and gems I had never heard of. If you like Visage, and the newest EP from the Hacker then you must check it out. A unique mix that focuses more on melody than thumping beat to beat mixes. Found on Soundcloud but no longer available there. Link to his Soundcloud page here.
Stream it :
2) Psychology tribute to ATCQ : Psychology is a DJ from Montreal Canada that has impressive musical knowledge and DJ Technics. On his soundcloud page, you will find a lot of funk and soul mixes as well as tributes to the greatest hip-hop outfits such as De la soul, Beastie boys and A tribe called quest, my personnal favorite of his mixes although I didn’t check the Beastie boys mix which looks yummy!
3) Virgin Magnetic material The number 20 mixtape : VMM is a DJ and producer that makes awesome and compelling remix of classics from the 80’s to even the 70’s and 90’s music too such as NIN. His remix of Teardrop by Massive attack is something to be reckon with. Lately, his remix of Talking heads’ Burning down the house has been the most played songs in my headphones. Here he offers us some his greatest works in a mix of his own which features Peter Gabriel, Notorious BIG, Phil Collins and so on getting the VMM treatment. Heck this guy makes me like Alanis Morrissette..! A unique talent from Israel and marketed on Soundcloud.
4) Kraftwerk Kover Kollection vol.4
This one veers heavily into hip hop territory at the beginning but then into more rock and, inevitably, techno areas. DJ Food used voice synthesizers to generate ‘lyrics’ over some tracks and it contains one of my favourite mixes: two versions of ‘Autobahn’ running concurrently in the left and right speakers. The fourth in a mix series featuring cover versions, sample-heavy tracks or songs that obviously owe a debt to the Dusseldorf quartet. Each mix is laced with spoken word, interviews or info about Kraftwerk too. This one was originally aired on 04/08/06 on Solid Steel. Features LCD Soundsystem, Luke Vibert, Coldcut and DMX Krew.
5) Electric deluxe podcast 076
Sheer eclectism by Jay Ahern. On the latest adventures of ED podcast we get pure sonic eclectism. Can, ESG, Villalobos, Kraftwerk, Omar S, Theo Parrish, Model 500, Carl Craig, Liquid liquid, Dinosaur L and krautrock legend Conrad Schnitzler and even ambient heads Oneohtrix Point Never. An absolute fun ride.